Prescription to Get Active
What to expect
Prescription to Get Active is an actual prescription a family doctor or healthcare provider can give patients to help them increase their physical activity levels and improve overall health.
How it works
The prescription can be redeemed at Augustana Fitness Centre or City of Camrose Recreation Centre or City of Camrose Aquatic Centre for a free trial pass. For those who prefer, the prescription can be redeemed at the Killam Regional Aquatic Centre. Current promotions are available on the Prescription to Get Active website which lists participating recreation centres, locations and offers.
Choose one of the following options:
- City of Camrose Recreation Centre = one-month walking track pass
- City of Camrose Aquatic Centre = one-month lane swim or aqua size pass
- Augustana Fitness Centre = one-month membership
- Killam Regional Aquatic Centre = one-month access to all programming except for lessons or 25% off of private/public lessons
Why should I get active?
Those who are active live longer, healthy lives. The benefits of regular physical activity include:
- better mental health
- better sleep
- more energy
- relief in symptoms from health conditions
- healthier weight
- build and keep strong muscles
- better able to resist illness
- reduced risk of falls
- longer life
People who are inactive have a higher chance of developing these health concerns:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- some cancers
- kidney problems
- osteoporosis (brittle bones)
Just 150 minutes of activity a week for adults can reduce these risks and improve your health regardless of weight loss. The Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines provide advice on the required amount of activity is recommended for health benefits.
How to get my prescription
Talk to your Camrose PCN Family Doctor or Healthcare Provider today to see if the Prescription to Get Active program is right for you!
Thank you to our local partners:
Additional ResourcesExercise Specialist